Would you ever go outside without protection during a heat wave, blizzard, or tropical storm? You possibly wouldn’t go out at all, and if you did you will most likely be precautious. Your asphalt driveway or parking lot must not withstand extreme weather conditions without protection. A great asphalt driveway protection solution is sealcoating, as it reduces your surface deterioration and increases life-time.
Learn about the benefits of asphalt driveway sealing. Make protecting your asphalt investment a priority. Save the time, energy, and money used in repairs.
Why Is Sealcoating Your Driveway Important?
The main reason people sealcoat their asphalt driveway or parking lot is to protect it from the damaging effects developed by natural elements and car pollutants. When vulnerable to the sun, water and natural elements, your asphalt surface oxidizes and hardens. Resulting in an asphalt driveway or parking lot that is brittle and potential to crackling or potholes. Professional asphalt sealcoating helps you protect the asphalt driveway or parking area, decreasing the chances of water penetration and other harmful elements such as car pollutants.
Asphalt sealing also provides aesthetic benefits to your asphalt driveway or parking lot. The asphalt surface will have a fresh look and even feel. As mentioned prior, sealcoating will save you lots of money and energy, otherwise spent in repairs, and will ensure a healthy asphalt surface for years.
Prepare Your Asphalt Surface For Sealing
Here is a list we put together for you, which includes the general action items asphalt care professionals follow towards preparing your asphalt driveway or parking lot for sealcoating:
- Assess driveway or parking lot. Any professional contractor will ask to assess your asphalt surface as the first step towards sealcoating. If your asphalt surface was installed within the past 18-24 months, you do not need sealcoating. During the assessment process you are searching for cracks, potholes, oil stains and any other signs of deterioration that need instant repairing.
- Clear the area. The next step will be to clean the asphalt area thoroughly of any debris, so that the priming and sealcoating is effective. This is important as it will prevent any missed cracks or potholes that need covering.
- Locate cracks and potholes in need of repair. Any area that needs repairing must be identified in your asphalt driveway or parking lot. This process is thorough and professional asphalt contractors have an eye for locating these quick, as well as differentiating cracks, divots, and depressions.
- Evaluate weather conditions. Your sealcoat application must be done at an asphalt pavement temperature of at least 50 degrees and the air temperature above 50 degrees. For best results have your contractor follow these metrics, as other variables decrease the integrity of your asphalt driveway sealcoating application.
- Remove oil spots and prime asphalt surface. Understand that oil stains on asphalt also decrease the effectiveness of your asphalt sealcoating service. Therefore, ensure that all stains are removed prior to applying a primer layer on your asphalt surface.
Generally, asphalt sealcoating requires multiple applications to ensure all cracks are covered or any other deterioration has been assessed and treated. For longer life-time and durability of your asphalt surface, have your asphalt driveway or parking lot assessed and treated every 20-36 months. Remember sealcoating is providing your investment with protection and an improved aesthetic look.
Limitless Golden Construction offers high-quality asphalt paving services in Putnam and Westchester County, NY. Our seasoned experts guide you and answer any of your questions regarding your pavement needs.
Request your complimentary quote now and proactively book your spring service with us! Call Limitless Golden Construction today at 914.810.3125.
Leave your questions in the comments below or visit our blog to learn more about caring for your asphalt driveway or parking lot.